Do you think upcoming piracy will lead the console to EOL soon?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Sbabbasone, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Sbabbasone
    OP

Sbabbasone Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2018
    Italy
    It is not even a year and we probably already have CFW and more than one exploit to launch backup games. In the very first place I was interested in the hacking scene for emulators in order to replay my old games that I don't own anymore from my switch and other useful stuff but at this point (we have SX pro that can launch backup copies less then one year after the console came out) I am worried that 3rd party houses won't develop games for Nintendo anymore and it is awful because this was the first home console from Nintendo to have such a large pool of portings from other consoles and a big consideration from the software houses. I don't want to see my dead in 2 or 3 years and my money wasted for a dead console.

Some days ago I was considering the chance to get SX Pro to try some games that I will be going to buy but as I noticed that everyone is so intensly obsessed with CFW for backups loaders I think I will use demos and video reviews.
    At this point I agree with that boy that said on this forum "I will enjoy CFW and backups loaders at the console end of life as an extra".

I want to talk with you about my passed experience with piracy: when I was little and not aware of copyrights and of the work behind a game, I was used to download loads of games for my PS2 but I had managed to complete a few of them that in hindsight I could have bought. The point of these considerations is that is useless to download tons of games making the piracy phenomenon bigger and then playing just a bunch of them. Plus, I don't think you can handle more than 2 or 3 games at once.

Please think about it! I approve the subreddit r/SwitchHaxing mods decision to give no support to piracy oriented threads. This is a very innovative console and it deserves a bright future ahead!

Last edited by Sbabbasone, Jul 21, 2018
  2. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    No. There are no legitimate documented cases of piracy alone killing a console. This has been debated several times and no new conclusions or information will come from new threads about it.

Derrin, weatMod, DarkWolf658 and 39 others like this.
  3. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    piracy boost console sales baby.

4. magico29
    This message by magico29 has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 21, 2018, Reason: Double post.
    Jul 21, 2018
  5. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    So nice you said it twice

6. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

Oct 24, 2011
    United States
    Yes, just like it killed the PS2 and NDS,. which had rampant piracy.

wizra, DarkWolf658, MunArisu and 18 others like this.
  7. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    my mistake baby.sometimes my PC double post.

8. yusuo
    This message by yusuo has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 21, 2018
  9. Andalitez
    This message by Andalitez has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 21, 2018
  10. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    No. No. No.

Where do people come up with this?

11. xIce101x

xIce101x GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    xIce101x is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 19, 2014
    United States
    No. Never has and probably never will.

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes because all past consoles/devices that had their life cut early were killed due to piracy and piracy alone

/s

13. magico29
    This message by magico29 has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 21, 2018
  14. magico29
    This message by magico29 has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jul 21, 2018, Reason: Off topic.
    Jul 21, 2018
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    No, but Nintendo killing retro romsites will. :tpi:

16. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    No, it's never happened before, it won't now.

17. usernamecharlie

usernamecharlie GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2017
    Israel
    Well I‘m afraid Dreamcast was kinda killed by piracy :-/

18. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Nope. Actually, Nintendo got an awesome up-start on the Switch, so it's now easier to get money over it. Specially now with the online limitations. The DS had the easiest way to play pirated games and well, even with pirated copies of games like Pokémon being bigger than sales, DS is one of the most sucessful videogame/console/handheld/whateveryoumaycallit of all time.

19. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    Nah, Sega was already in dire straits because of the Failure of Saturn support. (They stopped supporting it too early because of dreamcast.. and they had a history of stopgaps like the 32x) People lost faith due to Segas history of abandoning things made people wary. Hence Less sales. It wasn't piracy.

20. Sgt. Lulz

Sgt. Lulz Beef up

Oct 16, 2010
    United Kingdom
    PSP, 3DS, NDS, Wii, Wii U, PS2, basically every single cassette-drive 8-bit computer...
    Piracy on consoles has been rampant for a considerable amount of time, but not once has it killed third party support for any.

Subtle Demise, damiano2712 and Ty_ like this.
  21. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    No, that won't happen.

22. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    Why do people care if a console dies its literally part of the way the world works. things live and things die and if it happens sooner rather then later then it wasnt that good in the first place. You do know your just a number to these companies a faceless set of digits that paysout every so often if they play the right notes and tickle your funny bone enough. Sure the people who work there might treat you right and act all nice but thats because they have to in order to get paid. The company itself doesnt care about you beyond the money you can give them.

Its like darwins survival of the fittest if the companies cant handle the enviroment then they should fall to the wayside and make room for the better companies who will advance society farther then the previous ones.

23. shadoom

shadoom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Taiwan
    yes

CallmeBerto likes this.
  24. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Killing a console by piracy alone well that in itself no. It has way more fields that will lead to that. Marketing being one (just look at the poor old Wii U)

The pirate's woe;
    Console wise; it will even boost sales, that is almost always the case. Because Yarrr free treasures.
    Software wise; it will do worse. Because why pay when you can get something for free? Yarrr free treasures.

In the end we need software coming out on the console and to make sure Nintendo can stick around in the gaming scene.
    For that they need more then just themselves aka third parties. But if they don't see the potential sales they could reach due to mass piracy of their titels well guess what happens; they kiss Nintendo goodbye.

In the short run, the developers lose, in the intermediate Nintendo loses, in the long run we as gamers lose.
    Blimey ... no more seas to roam no more treasures to behold.

If ye be a pirate be a responsible one, savvy?

BlastedGuy9905 and RayD97 like this.
  25. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Xandrid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    No, just no, like what? The console basically just came out it ain't going anywhere anytime soon I'm 100% sure of that

Idle Thoughts | My Watch List | Nike Nike Women Nike Women Women Nike Women xx18g5qrw