Do you think upcoming piracy will lead the console to EOL soon?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Sbabbasone, Jul 21, 2018.

1. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    Did the thread I made in the EoF which parodises this thread get combined with it?

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Looks like they do

3. emuman100

emuman100 GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2006
    United States
    First and foremost, the 3DS is not approaching the end of it's life. Nintendo determines when that is and have said countless times that they will still support the 3DS for some time. Reggie even said that they use the 3DS as a vehicle into more serious gaming that is seen on the Switch.

Secondly, like it was said before, piracy never ever ever equaled a lost sale, ever. It may equal a potential lost sale, but there are so many factors that go into the decision of buying a game that it's impossible to equate piracy to a lost sale. However, in the capitalistic society that supports the rich in the US, lawyers and judges like to equate piracy to a lost sale. It's the only way they win.

And thirdly, no console has ever been killed by piracy, ever. Done, amen, capeshe, hasta la vanta. People love to bring up the Dreamcast in this argument, but Sega released a new revision of the hardware, however, I believe that was still hacked. Sega was responsible for Dreamcast's demise, and Sega alone.

As for Switch piracy, the RCM exploit was fixed in newer revisions of the hardware. Even then, running backups on the Switch is not an easy process, requires a lot of reading and patience, and has lots of risk involved if you don't know what you are doing or are lazy. Most people don't pirate because it requires some technical expertise. So many people today use technology on a daily basis, but very few actually understand how it works, or what it's potential is. Even though some people might appear to be technology "experts", ask them to tell you want a compiler is, or a bootloader, or give them an Ohm's law problem, or have them solder, or use an oscilloscope, or basic exercises in electronics or computers and they are clueless. Piracy is harder these days and is often limited to early versions of hardware or firmware, so even if it did kill a console or have any effect (which it does not), the small subset of people who engage in piracy won't make any impact.

4. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    Yea well, they said the same about Wii U
    How did it end already?:tpi::tpi::tpi:

5. emuman100

May 12, 2006
    United States
    No, that's not what they said. Also, they were undergoing the loss of Iwata, much restructuring, and changing their market focus.

6. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    I mean, they really said that the NX wasn't a replacement
    either for wii u or 3ds
    soon after the announcement of the switch, they dropped wii u
    3ds on the other hand, is still an active console, i give you that
    But far from it's life end? I totally disagree, it's life end is near
    end of 2019/early 2020 maximum

7. emuman100

May 12, 2006
    United States
    This was change in market focus which was spawned by the change in leadership.

3DS is still an active console and will be for a long time to come. It has few hardware limitations. The DS did not have upgradable firmware or the ability to run content on anything other than a game cartridge. Content delivery is streamlined with the 3DS, which was probably one of the reasons for including it in their market focus. They are able to still continue quality content on the 3DS while maintaining backwards compatibility with earlier models and focus on pushing current models.

8. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    if you say so...
    but you must admit, the 3ds is dead, the 2ds is alive for now

9. Nezztor

Nezztor GBAtemp Fan

Nov 8, 2016
    Mexico
    I think the rumor about the new model of switch probably the replacement of 3ds? Like maybe no dockable and no joycons

10. emuman100

May 12, 2006
    United States
    I think it's just a rumor.

11. Sticker

Sticker Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Vietnam
    Look at Psvita, Sony kill it before people crack it

12. fiis

fiis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    United States
    These are business decisions that are made way before a single unit is produced, especially at a company like Nintendo.

No company as strong as Nintendo will release a product without due diligence. Nintendo and any other company is well aware of shrink (aka loss due to theft or whatever). It is built in their financial model. If the product will turn a profit in the life span (predetermined), given the demand, capital requirement, expected loss (piracy, actual system theft, etc.), then they will pull the trigger.

Same applies to established game developers. AAA titles will turn a profit because more people will buy than pirate/steal. Piracy will only slightly deter new comers who don't have the resources to bang out a AAA title and THEFT will drag the profits to IRR's that are not attractive.

13. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Piracy boosts sales

02-02-2019 Kalakka Povathu Yaaru Season 8 | Mega Filmes | Jens Hultén