Former Telltale Games staff create new game studio

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 10, 2019.

Front-page
    0CD347DC-AB94-4957-ADFE-AEB1FE79D04A.

Last year saw the demise of Telltale Games, a development studio well known for their adventure games, such as The Wolf Among Us, Tales From the Borderlands, and most notably, The Walking Dead. Thanks to Skybound Games’ funding, the latter will see its story fully completed in a matter of months, but once that wraps up, it’ll be the last thing the studio ever releases. Luckily, it appears that some former employees from Telltale plan to carry on its legacy, and have founded AdHoc Studio. Those four employees are Micheal Choung, Dennis Lenart, Nick Herman, and Pierre Shorette. All of them departed from Telltale long before the studio closed down, with three of them temporarily working at Ubisoft to create a game that has yet to be revealed. They plan to continue developing narrative-based adventure games, with their next project potentially being a live action interactive story game, after being inspired by the likes of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, a film in which players get to make choices along the way.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (20 replies)
  1. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    "live action interactive story game"

So... a 90's FMV game?

2. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Hey, that's awesome. Maybe along the way, they could get the license to make The Wolf Among Us 2.

coppertj, ThoD, Mylink5 and 3 others like this.
  3. Gamer4Lyfe

Gamer4Lyfe Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Live action? Meh, I actually loved the art style in Telltales games. Bring it back!

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    hope they can bring back sam n max and MI. cmon guys get dem rights

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Feb 10, 2019
    Mylink5 likes this.
  5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I'm sure their games will sell as well as the other Telltale games.

Mylink5 likes this.
  6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    You get ten demerits for not mentioning Tales Of Monkey Island and the Sam&Max games.

Mylink5 likes this.
  7. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Heh, with this kind of announcement, I don't see them going very far. Niche games never saved a company.
    They'd better start branching or work on other studio's projects as contractors, or else, they'll eventually be out there, jobless, hungry, pennyless and broken hearted.

8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    this type of games dont sell enough to support entire studios really, they need to make more variety, if they only do the same stuff they will be bankrupt too.

9. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    I may be grumpy but, they really couldnt come up with a better name for the studio?

10. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Night trap 2 plz.

xs4all and Xzi like this.
  11. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    well enough that they go out of business?

12. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Exactly.

13. xs4all

xs4all GBAtemp Regular

Jun 9, 2008
    Australia
    As much as I would like this new company to succeed and I do wish them well, but I feel this type of genre may appeal to mostly to the old school people that grew up with point and click adventure games, me being one of them.
    These days, all the craze are Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, open world action/adventures/RPG's and anything that falls under first person shooters, point and click adventure is slowly dying, which is a shame. My personal views only though.

14. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Maybe something along the lines of Quantum Break? It used a blend of Live action videos and in game cutscenes.

15. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Telltale games sold a lot, the company went bankrupt because of poor management.

The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones all sold really well. Companies with waaaaay less sales have existed for decades without going bankrupt just look at Oddworld Inhabitants. They have released like 5 games total in 20 years and now they are doing better than before

tyrantnyx and tech3475 like this.
  16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I think some people here forget that relatively niche genres/games can still exist, so long as it’s handled correctly e.g. reasonable expectations, appropriate budgeting, etc.

This seems to be part of the problem with the video game industry in general though, especially with companies like EA.

17. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    F U C K......N O !

18. Owenge

Owenge *Autistic Screams*

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    ◤__◥
  19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Regular

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    What killed Telltale games was both branching out to do more than one game at the time and the fact they literally didn't knew what to do with the money when ine of their games hit big.

Watch movie | Sadamitsu the Destroyer | Mechanical Engineering Handbook